FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
It’s getting closer and closer to a booking too, we didn’t want to bog you down with the finer details in the main section of the site so here it is, hope you’re sitting comfortably, by the way, every page/section is printable to make it easier to digest but remember any questions just email me and I’ll get straight back to you.
Now you have selected your Thailand adventure touring holiday, you need to make a booking and make sure we can fulfill your motorcycle tour requirements.
The information in the following pages is intended to provide you with a guide to help you book your tour & arranging your travel & other documentary requirements.
Many airlines fly into Bangkok from Europe, some direct and some with a short stopover. More recently, Qatar Airlines operate flights into Chiang Mai from Doha (which is well connected from Europe.
Travel insurance and personal medical/recovery insurance is not included in the tour cost, you must arrange your own and you must bring the insurance documents with you (not copies) also please take photos with your phone of all main documents
Trailfinders offers these policies Worldwide
Thai basic motor insurance is included, this does not pay for damage to the Motorcycle or Truck, you the rider are responsible for any bike damage.
A 10,000 THB or 200 GBP Bike excess deposit must be paid in cash before the tour commences, this excess deposit will be paid back in full if there is no damage to the bike.
A full driving license is required that allows you to ride unlimited cc motorcycles, you should bring with you both parts of your license.
For “driving and on-road riding in Thailand” you need an “International Driving Permit (IDP)” 1949, as well as your license (both parts)
You can get your IDP from many main post offices and driving organizations ie AA, AAA, RAC ETC
DO I NEED A VISA TO ENTER THAILAND?
People travelling from 43 countries (UK is one of them) are not required to obtain a visa in their home country before entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days on each visit (but this can usually be extended for a further 30 days by visiting a Thai immigration office). If your stay is longer than 30 days please visit YOUR Thai Consul/Embassy website to clarify what you need.
HOW MUCH SPENDING MONEY WILL I NEED?
Not a lot as virtually everything is sorted by us.
Alcohol, gifts, evening entertainment and tips are not included
Thai Baht is the currency but please don’t get it in your own country wait till you get to Thailand you will get a better rate although ATM machines do charge about 150bht per transaction.
I suggest you get your main currency exchange in Chiang Mai but yes exchange a small amount at the airport but be aware of the exchange rates!
WHAT BIKING GEAR DO I NEED TO BRING?
We offer free off road riding gear and protection, let us know if you need unusual sizes
I always wear full body armour including knee shin and hip pads.
ON-ROAD BIGBIKE TOURING & CLASSIC BIKE TOURS
We stock many helmets and gloves plus we have a small selection of tour jackets too all available free to you
Remember it’s going to be hot so leathers and thermal lined kit is definitely not required however you do need to be protected both from the sun and any possible mishaps, also tree branches and bugs need to be kept out.
You need the lightest gloves you can buy (motocross gloves are ideal), goggles or tinted visors or sunglasses are an absolute must, combat trousers are loose enough for comfort but offer little protection but if they are worn over protection they will do the job, jeans are normally too hot and will stick to your legs.
I use light mesh style clothing as it’s really comfortable, it breathes and its light. I have an Enduro jacket that is totally breathable but has protection too which I wear on some on-road tours in cooler seasons.
Sturdy walking style boots or army boots are a substitute for biking boots I often wear short motocross paddock style boots for on-road tours.
HAZARDS ON THE ROAD
Driving is on the left the same as the UK, however being really aware of all road users is the order of the day, anticipate the most hideous road rules and your halfway there.
Many folk think Thais are bad drivers personally I think they are very bike aware and because they all know this, the traffic seems to flow quite well.
We will have a full briefing about this in our team briefing before the tour.
Pot holes wash outs and disappearing roads and collapsed bridges are normal sights.
Buffalo and cows are also very common grazing or asleep on the road and if you see a thai dog in the road be sure it ain’t gonna move for you!!!
Thailand is 230 v and you will need a 2 pin adapter.
SMILE AND BE COURTEOUS
Thais generally don’t like confrontation and aggressive behaviour, please remember this at all times and remember we are riding often on their territory, a smile and a wave goes down a storm.
All Inclusive means:
- Meet And Greet plus Transfer from Chiang Mai airport or railway station (to your hotel)
- Welcome group meal and informal tour briefing
- Tuk Tuk and taxi fares whilst out with the group.
- Accommodation the night before the riding starts and the night the riding ends (in Chiang Mai)
- Approx 100-200km riding per day (off road tours).
- 250-450 kms (on road) of riding each day.
- Lots of photo opportunities.
- All accommodation throughout the tour is based on single occupancy.
- All meals on tour: breakfast, morning tea, lunch afternoon tea and evening meal.
- Motorcycle (fully checked) including fuel and oil and routine maintenance
- Biking gear is available although you may prefer to bring your own.
- English rider with every tour .
- Thai tour guide registered with Thai tourist authority( fluent English).
- Thai support truck driver (fluent English).
- Support truck with spares carrying luggage.
- All entrance fees to national parks etc.
- Cool Water, Soft drinks, Snacks from the Support truck and cooling Towels too
- 3rd party insurance excluding bike damage, any bike damage must be paid for by the rider. See insurances page
WHAT?S NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights into Bangkok or Chiang Mai from anywhere in the world
- Travel insurance and medical insurance (see note 4 in terms and conditions)
- Gifts and souvenirs etc
- Tips or gratuities
ARRIVAL TO CHIANG MAI
We advise you to arrive in Chiang Mai the day before your tour start date, the flight from Bangkok is 1hr 10 mins there are many flight options, the overnight sleeper train from Bangkok is a great adventure but leaves Bangkok at 6pm and arrives Chiang Mai at around 9am (this has been known to be delayed)
PLEASE CHECK THE TIMES FOR YOURSELF!
DEPARTURE FROM CHIANG MAI
Unless you are staying on in Chiang Mai or the Northern region, you will need to arrange your departure for the day after the tour finish date
We will collect you from your hotel and transfer you to either the airport the railway station or car hire depot.
If you want to stay an extra night in your hotel we will of course arrange your transfer on the following day. Let us know in advance and we can book the hotel on your behalf.
If you have any further requests or ideas please let me know and I will advise and offer my personal help wherever I can.
Note: We will not add any profit to any third party arrangements, car hire, hotels excursions etc.
ACCOMMODATION IN CHIANG MAI
Your Chiang Mai first and last night will be very comfortable and will be in a beautiful city centre hotel, western 3 star equivalent. (UPGRADES AVAILABLE)
We want you to relax and enjoy the city, the people the night life whatever you choose.
ACCOMMODATION THROUGHOUT YOUR OFF-ROAD TOUR
We are travelling deep into the jungle, we have located some beautiful bamboo bungalow resorts that offer en suite accommodation, nice clean beds and wonderful Thai food.
We never camp and will never sleep under the stars!! Unless you really want to, I wont be by the way!!
When we are nearer to civilisation we will stop over at locally run guesthouses, all are en-suite and have been tried and tested by me recently!
All accommodation will be booked on a single occupancy basis.
ACCOMMODATION ON YOUR ON-ROAD TOUR
We only stay in quality local guesthouses and small family run hotels, we have tried and tested them all recently and they will of course be en suite and offer clean cool rooms with friendly and helpful staff.
All accommodation will be booked on a single occupancy basis.
- Well what is there to say!! Thai food is beautiful and fresh however pork and sticky rice is not our choice for breakfast, so we will carry with us western breakfast cereals just in case!! Fresh fruit is always available.
- Portion sizes in Thailand are not so generous however eating often is the order of the day, we will be stopping for regular drink and snack breaks.
- Breakfast lunch and dinner is included throughout the tour as is morning and afternoon tea.
- The food is always fresh and served with a smile, any specific dietary requirements must be discussed before you book.
- Delicious seafood, chicken and pork are extremely common, rice and noodle dishes including curry soups always form the basis of every menu, bottled water is an absolute must, never drink the tap water!!
- Most villages and petrol stations will sell water and soft drinks and a few western snacks, there is a cool box on board the support truck to hold your secret stash!!
YOUR RIDING ABILITY
Our tours are generally suited to experienced bikers, as the terrain and the road conditions can vary incredibly and dealing with the unexpected will be the norm!
We want your tour to be the best it can be for you. Please be honest with you own ability assessment
SO HOW WOULD YOU ASSESS YOUR EXPERIENCE?
Off road “novice” beginner little or no off road experience.
Off road “experienced” (Weekly Sunday greenlaning) (1 yr min).
Off road “competitor” enduro moto x, trials etc.
On road novice beginner-recently passed test (less than 2 yrs).
On road experienced daily or weekly rider (riding 2yrs or more).
On road extensive touring experience national or international
Tell us what you ride and how often, and what you want from the tour!!
Be honest please…
OFF-ROAD INTRODUCTION SESSIONS AND TRAINING DAY
If off-road riding is new to you then why not start with an introduction/training session and then hit the trails and tracks with confidence, you will be amazed at how quick you get the hang of it!!
We want your tour to be the best it can be for you, please be honest with you own ability assessment.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
ACCEPTANCE OF ANY BOOKING IS THEREFORE SUBJECT TO AGREEMENT ON THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- A booking can only be made after the return of a completed booking form accompanied by the agreed deposit.
The remaining balance must be in the hands of the company on or before arrival in Chiang Mai Before the tour starts.
- We must be notified of any cancellations no later than 30 days before the start date of the tour. Cancellation notification must be made in writing (or e-mail to our site)?and will be effective from the day it is received. Cancellations made prior to 60 days before the tour starting date will receive a full refund of any money paid minus 20% of the tour fee as an administration charge to cover initial costs.
- Cancellations made 60 to 30 days before the start of the tour will receive a full refund of any money paid minus 40% of the tour fee.
- Cancellations made within 30 days of the start of the tour shall forfeit all sums paid. Exceptions to this policy can be made at booking stage but must be in writing/email.
- The company will not cancel a tour for any reason. And will do everything in it’s power to ensure that all booked tours are completed as confirmed.
- It is also understood that war, political or civil unrest, natural disaster, general act of god or any other force majeure constitute a sufficient reason for the company to cancel a tour.
- The company is not responsible for any extra expenses incurred in preparation for the trip i.e. plane tickets, insurance costs, extra gear bought.
- Insurance. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure they are sufficiently insured against medical and personal risks covering the tour. Without the correct insurance we cannot let you join the tour. Insurance must cover repatriation, ambulance and air recovery. Trip cancellation insurance is your choice.
- It is expressly confirmed that the company cannot accept responsibility for loss or injury to the applicant arising directly through failure by the applicant, but shall be responsible only in the event that the loss or injury to the applicant has been directly occasioned by an error on the company’s behalf.
- Motorcycle/Truck damage. In the event of an accident, the customer is required to pay for all damages if we consider the cause to be reckless driving or driving without due care and attention. All vehicles used on the tour have Compulsory 3rd party insurance and are fully road legal.
- The Company reserves the right to alter the route as conditions prevail to accommodate changes in weather, terrain and physical condition of participants. The leader’s decision is final.
- The Company reserves the right to discontinue touring with individual applicants who disrupt the tour thereby affecting the enjoyment of fellow riders/drivers/passengers. This includes dangerous riding/driving/putting other people’s safety at risk and any offence that breaks Thai national law. There will be no refund under these circumstances.
- It is the responsibility of all applicants to meet at the time and designated start point. Participants failing to connect with the support vehicle are liable for their own expenses to catch up with the tour.
- Delays in the Journey. We cannot be held responsible for any unforeseen delays in your flights prior to, and after the tour whether caused by weather or other unforeseen circumstances. In the event of a delay you will be responsible for providing your own meals and accommodation.
- If during the tour, you have a complaint please discuss the matter immediately with the tour leader who will take the appropriate action. Should you be dissatisfied with the result and feel that it has severely affected your enjoyment of the holiday please write/email us within 30 days of your return. We will respond within the same period and endeavor to resolve the matter to our mutual satisfaction.
- By their acceptance hereof the applicant agrees and accepts that he/she has read and understood the terms of these booking conditions and agrees to be bound by same. The applicant also confirms that he/she considers himself medically fit to participate in the tour and that no warranty has been given by the company as to the medical condition of the applicant. Any information provided by the company in relation to travel details or requirements in respect of passports, visas or other requirements for trips to Thailand is provided on a voluntary basis and is not to be relied upon by the applicant.
LATEST NEWS AND UPDATES
Off-Road Hybrid tours!!Northern ThailandTHE BEST OF ALL WORLDSEnduro BikesUTV Off Road 4x4 Buggy4WD TrucksAll Inclusive PackagesDeep Jungle and Hilltribe RegionsALL OFF ROAD LOVERS! "Ride or Drive"You Choose...Petrol & Passion 3 days to 14...
Hello my dear friends! We would like to wish all our past present and future customers and friends a safe, Happy Christmas and a prosperous New Year! New year New adventures 2020 is gonna be another Great Year! Exciting times ahead. I can feel it....
Hi there I hope you are well?? I realise it's been a while! Many of you are already aware but to clarify, thaibiketours.co.uk has now changed domain to thaibike.tours as we feel this is more globally relevant than the .co.uk domain. We have made a few changes and...